Point Horror Nostalgia
A childhood treat, a scare, a memory that will follow me until my own grave. Sitting in the corner, perched in a fort made entirely of bean bags and soft cushions, I hit away from the world, from the school. I settled myself in the library corner, with my pile of Point Horror books, and I sat and read; I turned those pages all break time and lunchtime, until the end came and I was satisfied.
Recently I have rekindled this passion for childhood favourites. Most importantly the 'Point Horror' and 'Goosebumps' series of Teen Horror books. I remember them with such fondness. Some were your standard cut and paste story (what you would call that now, full of cliches.) but back then, they were amazing. They scared, they bewildered and they tantalised all the senses. So this blog post, and the few in the future, will take a trip down the cobbled memory lane. Diving back into those short and sweet little stories. I will be looking at them with a broader mind and an even keener eye.
My collection is still quite prominent. Finding some in local charity shops and boot sales, I have been quite lucky. But there still are those fair few illusive titles. But here are the ones I own, for now. (A collection of Nightmares, Point Horror, Christopher Pike's work and Goosebumps.)
And here's a picture, because every one loves seeing physical evidence.
The Point Horror series boasts some pretty interesting authors. R.L Stine, Caroline B. Cooney, Sinclair Smith, Richie Tankersley Cusick and Diane Hoh. These names back then where like gold to me; those little books with the frightening bright covers and the scrawled titles, were my addiction. And I'm starting up a little series on The Corpus Krypt, dedicated to these wonderful little tomes. So stay tuned to this blog and I'll be reviewing and re-reading some of my favourites and some I never managed to find when I was younger.
First up, in the spirit of Valentines Day, tomorrow. I have picked those with a 'love' theme.
Here they are...
Boyfriend - R. L. Stine
Sometimes, love is murder.
Too bad about Dex. He was in love with Joanna. She broke up with him. And then he died.
Joanna's sorry, of course. But it's not her fault he's dead, is it? Besides, she never loved him. Boys are just toys, to be used and thrown away.
But this time, Joanna's gone too far. Because Dex is back. From the dead. For one last date with her....
The Dead Girlfriend - R.L. Stine
Is his girlfriend back...from the dead?
Annie has just moved to a new neighborhood when she meets tall and handsome Jonathan Morgan. He's the coolest thing ever, but according to new friend Dawn, he's mad, bad, and dangerous to know...and his last girlfriend is dead.
As she sees more and more of Jonathan, Annie is desperate to know exactly how the beautiful, popular Louisa died. But strange and terrifying things begin to happen to her. Her bike tires are slashed, her computer is sabotaged and her cat is murdered. She's plagued by weird phone calls warning her away from Jonathan and terrifying nightmares about Louisa.
Jonathan's old girlfriend might be dead...but she isn't gone.
The Boy Next Door - Sinclair Smith
Randy's friends think she'll be scared when her father goes away and leaves her home alone. The house is large and ramshackle, and built on a deserted street, but Randy says she'll be dine. And she is...until Julian moves in next door...
Now, being alone is the least of her worries. Randy has many new friends these days; fear is her constant companion, while dread lurks outside, demanding to be let in. And, thanks to Julian, it seems that horror is to be a permanent house guest...
Dream Date - Sinclair Smith
Katie's worst nightmare has come true...and she's in it.
Shy, pretty Katie is dying to meet the perfect boy and fall in love. Then one night when she's asleep, Heath Granger walks into her dreams. He's handsome, charming and exciting. And if he's a little bit possessive, so what? He's only a dream...
But soon, Katie's sleeping more and more, and Heath is becoming stronger and meaner. He doesn't just want to be part of Katie's dreams - he wants to visit her when she's awake too. Katie's dream date is taking over her life and turning it into a living nightmare...
Now a question for you readers:
What was your favourite Point Horror book?
Recently I have rekindled this passion for childhood favourites. Most importantly the 'Point Horror' and 'Goosebumps' series of Teen Horror books. I remember them with such fondness. Some were your standard cut and paste story (what you would call that now, full of cliches.) but back then, they were amazing. They scared, they bewildered and they tantalised all the senses. So this blog post, and the few in the future, will take a trip down the cobbled memory lane. Diving back into those short and sweet little stories. I will be looking at them with a broader mind and an even keener eye.
My collection is still quite prominent. Finding some in local charity shops and boot sales, I have been quite lucky. But there still are those fair few illusive titles. But here are the ones I own, for now. (A collection of Nightmares, Point Horror, Christopher Pike's work and Goosebumps.)
![]() |
And here's a picture, because every one loves seeing physical evidence.
The Point Horror series boasts some pretty interesting authors. R.L Stine, Caroline B. Cooney, Sinclair Smith, Richie Tankersley Cusick and Diane Hoh. These names back then where like gold to me; those little books with the frightening bright covers and the scrawled titles, were my addiction. And I'm starting up a little series on The Corpus Krypt, dedicated to these wonderful little tomes. So stay tuned to this blog and I'll be reviewing and re-reading some of my favourites and some I never managed to find when I was younger.
First up, in the spirit of Valentines Day, tomorrow. I have picked those with a 'love' theme.
Here they are...
Boyfriend - R. L. StineSometimes, love is murder.
Too bad about Dex. He was in love with Joanna. She broke up with him. And then he died.
Joanna's sorry, of course. But it's not her fault he's dead, is it? Besides, she never loved him. Boys are just toys, to be used and thrown away.
But this time, Joanna's gone too far. Because Dex is back. From the dead. For one last date with her....
The Dead Girlfriend - R.L. StineIs his girlfriend back...from the dead?
Annie has just moved to a new neighborhood when she meets tall and handsome Jonathan Morgan. He's the coolest thing ever, but according to new friend Dawn, he's mad, bad, and dangerous to know...and his last girlfriend is dead.
As she sees more and more of Jonathan, Annie is desperate to know exactly how the beautiful, popular Louisa died. But strange and terrifying things begin to happen to her. Her bike tires are slashed, her computer is sabotaged and her cat is murdered. She's plagued by weird phone calls warning her away from Jonathan and terrifying nightmares about Louisa.
Jonathan's old girlfriend might be dead...but she isn't gone.
The Boy Next Door - Sinclair SmithRandy's friends think she'll be scared when her father goes away and leaves her home alone. The house is large and ramshackle, and built on a deserted street, but Randy says she'll be dine. And she is...until Julian moves in next door...
Now, being alone is the least of her worries. Randy has many new friends these days; fear is her constant companion, while dread lurks outside, demanding to be let in. And, thanks to Julian, it seems that horror is to be a permanent house guest...
Dream Date - Sinclair Smith
Katie's worst nightmare has come true...and she's in it.
Shy, pretty Katie is dying to meet the perfect boy and fall in love. Then one night when she's asleep, Heath Granger walks into her dreams. He's handsome, charming and exciting. And if he's a little bit possessive, so what? He's only a dream...
But soon, Katie's sleeping more and more, and Heath is becoming stronger and meaner. He doesn't just want to be part of Katie's dreams - he wants to visit her when she's awake too. Katie's dream date is taking over her life and turning it into a living nightmare...
Now a question for you readers:
What was your favourite Point Horror book?


Comments
Post a Comment