Beauty Pop #1 & Beauty Pop #2 - Kiyoko Arai - 3*

Beauty Pop #1 & Beauty Pop #2
Kiyoko Arai

***

No Spoilers

In Kiri's school there are 3 boys who carry out transformations on random pretty girls; Narumi Shougo, the hairstylist, Minami Kei, the nail artist and Ochiai Kazuhiko who balances the overall look. They are adored by the girls because they are so good at making them beautiful. However, Kiri is also a master hairstylist who is willing to 'add some magic' for those who need it, but in disguise. Now Kiri is forced to face the three in a showdown with Narumi.

I'm unsure as to what possessed me to pick up this. It isn't fantasy, it isn't paranormal. But it is Manga, and Manga is like food for the soul; it's quirky, quick and easy to read and most of the time is something to fill a little gap in your day, and put a smile on your face. I saw a bunch of Manga at the Library and checked them all out, I picked up this and it's sequel. 

I found Beauty Pop a light read, quirky at times with a few moments of laugh out loud laughter. The characters were simple yet effective, the story was a smooth little line of character buildup and this and that. I liked it as one would like a hot drink when you've got a winter chill. It's needed for that moment but it is easily surpassed by better, more interesting reads. Don't get me wrong, this was quirky and fun and definitely quick to polish off. I was unsure about the whole Hairstyling Group and how they turned already pretty people, beautiful. Whereas the main character, Kiri, she transformed those ugly into amazing beauties. I thought perhaps it was the wrong message to send Teenangers, that beauty got your the guy, that beauty got you everything you wanted. I hope further along the Manga volumes it changes it's view because I don't think it's a great message to portray, but if you don't take things too seriously, it's a simple read that delights the senses for an hour. 

It was the same with the sequel, we met another character, we see a lot more between Narumi and Kiri, it was quite interesting and at moments you were like, 'will they, won't they?' It had a good little build up overall, but again the message was flawed with the whole beauty situation. I thought Kiri managed to transform people with a real flair, and a real magic. 

If you like Manga and want quick, easy and a little smile, thenI'd pick these up. But for seriousness, and if you are worried about reading things with a terrible message of how beauty is everything and you can't be fat, or ugly to get what you want or whom you love, then by all means overlook this graphic novel and find yourself something else.

Comments