Mortal Kiss - Alice Moss - 1*

Mortal Kiss
Alice Moss

*

No Spoilers

How much would you sacrifice for just one kiss...
When smouldering Finn and sexy Lucas arrive in Winter Mill, life starts to get very complicated for Faye McCarron. 

But two boys battling for her heart is just the start. Soon there's a dead body in the woods, a motorcycle gang on the prowl, and the snow just won't stop falling. Something evil is at work, and only Faye and best friend Liz can stop it. As Hallowe'en draws near they must uncover the dark and sinister secret . . . before it's too late.

I don't even know where to begin with this. I am sorely disappointed. Truly fallen for the judging a book by the cover rule. Even the blurb sounded enticing. Dead bodies, mystery, strange gangs. But it all fell into one big pot of misery.

There isn't a single character in Mortal Kiss that had substance or even a backbone. They were all incredibly one dimensional and oddly selfish, stupid and downright ignorant. There are strange things happening in Winter Mill, strange things indeed and when told to not go to the woods, why, you go to the woods, isn't that right? It wasn't even the stupidity of the characters that got to me so much as how they acted towards each other. For supposed best friends, Liz and Faye were practically 'ex best friends' because of one new boy. Who, in my opinion was as shallow as the rest of them.

I felt as though Alice Moss was trying to hard to replicate the successes of Paranormal YA. Trying to follow in the footsteps of Maggie Steifvater's Shiver series, and also LJ Smith's Vampire Diaries, it left me feeling as though what was the point of creativity anymore, if you just go and try and peel away the skeleton of another story and just add and take away some bones. To me it felt like everything was thrown together in a disarray of Immortals, Werewolves and Magic, including strange Mirrors to a Fantasy dimension. At times I wondered if Alice Moss knew what she was intending, as some scenes didn't make much sense to the 'story' she was trying to tell.

The dialogue was too simple, the plot, hardly there and the characters were irksome. The saving grace, and that is something mediocre, was the prophecies that were told in the ancient scrolls. Perhaps I liked that for the obvious reasons, but I'm unsure. I'm still digesting what I've read with a very confused mind. 

Disappointed and disheartened with the YA genre after reading this, and it leaves me to pose a question; Can one be too old to read YA books?

Comments