A Touch of Crimson - Sylvia Day - 2*
Sylvia Day
**
No Spoilers.
Late last night I decided to pull a book from my shelves, read the first chapter and put it back, to hopefully read today. Well, one chapter turned into four chapters and then ten and then I found myself turning the last page, thinking why did I do that?
A Touch of Crimson is unique in the world that Sylvia Day has created. Her paranormal romance offering, with a touch (more like a barrel) of New Adult Romance. A world in which Sentinel Angels watch over the likes of Lycans and Vampires, as well as the humans. I thought that the author did a good job creating this little world of fantasy, but it fell short when it came to the characters.
Adrian Mitchell is a Sentinel Angel. He is olive hued, dark haired and is ‘sex on legs’. Even his voice is enough to weaken our heroine’s knees. I should have known when I hit those descriptions that this was a Gideon Cross clone from her Crossfire series. No don’t get me wrong, I like my tall, dark and handsome, but Adrian lacked a bit more dusbtance. I wanted to see more of his romantic nature, considering he kept preaching how in love he was with the reincarnated beloved of his, Shadoe, who happened to be reincarnated into the body of Lindsay Gibson.
Now let me get started on the plot.
Well, what plot I could fathom -- I did however like that she had little plots in with the ‘big one’. I liked Elijah and his pack, I wanted to see more of him to be fair, than Adrian and Lindsay. But oh well, it is their book after all. I preferred the vampire lady Vasha as well over Lindsay as the latter was very much... dull.
And stupid. Let me get right on that one. She is stupid.
I know it’s a book, a paranormal fantastical romance, that in no way has any realistic elements but really, you would follow this random stranger from the word go and just swoon over him in lusty passion, yet no nothing of him and at the first glimpse of him being absolutely not human, you just continue on with him. That is flawed thinking, and normally in books work, but this one just seemed too far fetched.
Shadoe was meant to be Adrian’s ruin; he loved her with everything he had and vowed celibacy until he found her reincarnation, where he then wants full rampant passion. Okay, I get it. Alpha Angel is so in love with Shadoe’s soul that he can wait, but wow, just wow. I wanted to see this love, this passion that transcends mortality, that goes between immortal life over and over again. I did not see that and I was disappointed. I believe that when it comes to writing reincarnated lovers, you can either do it really, really well, or poorly. There is no in between.
Lindsay aggravated me. She was stupid, she was so preoccupied in looking at our hero’s pure sculptured body, that she didn’t really have much character change, and what change she did have was so drastic it was hardly realistic. I am not hating Sylvia Day’s work, she has written much and many successful books, but her writing, her stories that she weaves are not my cup of tea. And this just seemed like a paranormal spin on her Crossfire series and that was a slight disappointment.

Comments
Post a Comment