The Raven Boys & The Dream Thieves [The Raven Cycle #1 & #2]- Maggie Stiefvater - 5*


*****

No Spoilers

I adore Maggie's writing, I adore her character and world building, I just adore her works. And The Raven Boys is no exception.

The Raven Cycle starts off with The Raven Boys; we are introduced to Blue, a non-psychic girl living under the roof of a psychic 'family'. Most of her life Blue has been told that if she kisses her true love, he will die. She has spent a lot of her time avoiding boys, avoiding falling in love. But when she is at the Dead March with her Aunt, she sees a boy, Gansey, his spirit -- a sign he will die soon -- is wearing the Aglionby jumper, which is a private boys school, where all the students are known as the raven boys. Gansey and his trio, Ronan, Adam and Noah are going to be mixed up in Blue and her family's psychic ways, and one way or another, someone is going to die.

I loved The Raven Boys; Maggie does not disappoint. We have swoon-worthy male characters, we have a freakin' pet raven! I loved chainsaw, I loved Ronan. He was by far my favourite character, he is the troubled soul, shaved head, big ego and even bigger chip on his shoulder. Gansey and Blue's conversations were always amusing and I did love how Maggie wrote Adam and Blue's little 'relationship'. I was engrossed so much, I did not even know the time. I lived in this book, I devoured the landscape, the camaro, the school, the boys and I adored how Maggie can make yet another lovable female lead. Blue was made of brass by hr outside shone gold; she was quirky with her bedhead hair, her fiery attitude and her persona. She was a breath of fresh air. As always with Maggie's books, a five star.

And need I mention the beautiful cover?

* * *

The Dream Thieves is the sequel, and takes place a few weeks after the main events in The Raven Boys. I was so happy to see that we got to hear more about Ronan and his abilities. I loved hearing about his dreams, Chainsaw and his rivalry with Joseph Kavinsky. We find out even more about the boys' and Blue's adventures in trying to find the Welsh King. Even more cars, beautiful scenery and a few fights or two.

The Dream Thieves left me wanting to be transported into Henrietta. Living under the same roof as the boys in the old manufacturing building and becoming friends with all of them. They all had so much character, all different. Even Noah and his 'specialness', Adam and his weakness, Gansey with his overly focused mind and Ronan. They all have a place in my heart and I cannot wait until the third installment.

If you haven't yet, I implore you to read The Raven Boys, and then continue their story with The Dream Thieves; you will not be disappointed.

The covers, both of them, they want to be part of your book shelf -- look how stunning they are!


Comments