Become - Ali Cross - 2*
Ali Cross
**
No Spoilers.
Become is the first book in the Desolation series. It is currently free on Amazon Here. It follows and is in the P.O.V of Desolation Black, the daughter of the Devil, Lucifer. The prologue begins with her birth and we are quickly transported to the present day with a training session in Hell itself. Desi is to be sent back to Earth for a mission of sorts, and she is not looking forward to it, considering the last time she was on Earth she ended up breaking a guy's heart which resulted in his death.
I had high hopes for Become, I really did. It had such a premise I long for in a book; it had Demons, it had strife and mayhem, but this, the first half was reasonable and I quite liked some of the characters (Even though I was hoping to hear more about Aaron, considering he was so 'in love' with Desolation...) the remaining half of the book, I just didn't know what was going on. I can see Ali Cross has gone for a new take on Heaven and Hell by merging it with Norse mythology. A strange idea and if done right a good one, but it just kept changing and confusing me as I read on. That and the sudden change in character's personalities was ridiculous.
Mostly with James. When we are introduced to him, he is very much a pompous ladies man with an incredibly high amount of flirtation. He was your basic asshole. I can live with that, after all, book need their fair share of assholes... But then his sudden change, it isn't for the better and it just happens in like... a couple of pages. Very unrealistic. I know, I know, why must it be realistic if it is about Demons, Hell, Angels and Heaven? Well, it could be. it could be a little more relateable.
Which, in another note, Desi's 'relationship' with Michael and her actual 'birth'. I may have overlooked it, because I was becoming a bit bored with reading it, but I thought in the prologue we watched her being born... then how can what had happened in the past, actually happen? Desolation and Michael were annoying. It happened far too quickly and just seemed... odd to me. I couldn't get to grips with any of the characters in the last part of the book, I was really inclined to put it down but thought I should continue, just in case it does get better. It didn't.
I was fooled and drawn in by the pretty cover...
I'm giving this two stars, primarily because it had promise, Ali Cross had a brilliant idea and it could have been executed so well, if she took time and perhaps didn't merge everything together. At times it was like an information dump and I felt like I was hitting a brick wall. I do hope the next few books are easier to follow and are a lot better than their predecessor...

Comments
Post a Comment