Glass Houses & Dead Girl's Dance - Rachel Caine - 5*

Rachel Caine

*****

No Spoilers.

I have had the majority of the Morganville Vampire's series for quite some time, but I've never gotten around to reading them, or even starting to attempt the series. Boy, was I glad I started this series! Rachel Caine has quickly become one of my favourite authors, and by this review, I hope that you too will pick up a Morganville book and enjoy it and get wrapped up in Caine's writing, like I have.

Glass Houses starts off Morganville with Claire Denvers, a sixteen (nearly seventeen!) year old who has just been transferred to Morganville college. A clever clogs but more or less a loner, she is prone to being bullied and her tormentor goes by the name of Miranda. Miranda does a pretty good number on Claire, pushing her down the stairs. Claire eventually gets up and leaves the school, desperately wanting to get out of it's vicinity, she finds herself reading through the local ads, and her eyes fall upon an advert for a house share. Bruised and battered she finds her way there and is met by quirky little goth, Eve, who lets her inside and says she can stay for the night, get herself sorted and then talk to Michael, the guy that the house belongs to, in the morning. Once inside the Glass Household, she meets Shane. A sweet talking, typical guy who lays about, plays Xbox and Playstation and makes a mean chilli. 

Throughout the first book of Morganville, we are introduced to the vampires. They are not what we as readers have come to know; they are evil, they rule Morganville with an iron fist and unfortunately Michael, Eve, Shane and Claire have gotten on their bad side, along with Miranda, who is under the vampire's protection and is practically untouchable.

I loved all the characters in this book. I loved the main character, Claire -- I could relate quite heavily with her, with the bullying, not fitting in. Caine wrote her very well. I liked Eve, she was funny, she was feisty and she was admirable. Michael was  sweetheart and Shane, well, I like my book bad boys, I like my book boys to have their quirks and their minuses. Shane ticked everything for me, he was real. I liked seeing Claire's and his relationship grow. I did enjoy the vampires though, the twists that came with the house and Michael. 

* * *

Dead Girl's Dance continues exactly where Glass Houses left off. I love how authors can do this, but it also means that you need to either book binge the series, or have a good memory -- thankfully I have both in my arsenal! -- We see more of Shane and Claire's relationship and also Eve and Michael's, more vampire hell and more of Miranda to contend with. This series is a real page turner and I did not want to stop, until the ending, which Caine has a good way of making you want to read even after the last page is finished. After the first two books, I have decided as much as Morganville is a rather frightening place to be I would love to move in with the characters. I really do think it would be a lot of fun. Caine has made them all so realistic, so true to themselves even in the sequel, and just so damn awesome.

At times, I did wonder about Claire and the choices she made, but in the end, I couldn't give these books less than five stars.


Go and pick up Glass Houses, you will not put it down and you will suck the life out of the series. Like I am starting to :)

Comments