Poison Study - Maria V. Synder - 5*
Maria V. Synder
*****
No Spoilers.
Poison Study is set in the world of Ixia -- a world that is now being governed by a Commander and his many smaller factions. The main character is a very likable woman named Yelena; whom we are first introduced at her lowest point, huddled in the prison cells of the Commander's district. Yelena is to be sentenced to death and just before her execution, Commander Ambrose's right-hand-man, Valek informs her, for her 'freedom' she would become the Commander's food taster; as being a man of such high ranking, his food was suspect of poisoning and Valek wasn't up for the job for much longer, and Yelena's predecessor died on the job. So Yelena becomes the Commander's food taster, Poison taster. And we can see just how well that new job would fair...
The story unfolds at a nice pace, neither too quick nor too drawn out. Valek's and Yelena's relationship grows more and more friendlier as the days go on and I love how Maria has not followed most trends in writing and has given her book a dose of 'Insta-Love'. I like how Yelena grows stronger, not only in body but in mind and once more I respect Maria and how she has developed Yelena's character -- not once did I find myself rolling my eyes at the whining of a lead female character. Instead, rooting for her all the way.
When things start to get a little more thunderous for Yelena, and we are introduced to a magician from the south, Sitia. Yelena's character did not falter and fall into an oblivion like a few well-named characters often do. She grows stronger as an individual and along with a posse of friends, she becomes even more the likable character. I can see from reading Poison Study that Maria has left the story to move with a very nice flow onto the next one (Which pleases me, that I have bought all three 'Study' books.)
Valek is a friend, a love interest and a mentor. He is everything that I love in a male book character. He is quirky, sarcastic, dark and mysterious. I admire how he is written and some of his dialogue is the best I have ever read. His relationship with Yelena grows at a normal, realistic pace, he does not take advantage of her when a certain evening she has tasted one two many brandies for the Commander. He is actually quite a gentleman and has an artistic side, for carving figurines, another plus for being a very three dimensional male character.
I recommend starting the 'Study' series, Maria's writing flows so well, is not too flowery and over-the-top but neither plain nor boring. I have read it's sequel, Magic Study and am half way through Fire Study, all of which I do believe can be read out of order, as Maria has once again done an amazing effort of including a bit of back story without making it drag on and appearing as an info dump. Poison Study is quite an easy read, it is easy to lose time flicking through the pages and also delving deeper into the world of Ixia, that once you've turned the last page, you'll be wanting to know more about. More about the characters, the land, the world and more of it's inhabitants and lore. I know I did.

Comments
Post a Comment