Black Ice - Becca Fitzpatrick - 5*

Becca Fitzpatrick

*****

No Spoilers.

Sometimes danger is hard to see... until it’s too late.

Britt Pfeiffer has trained to backpack the Teton Range, but she isn't prepared when her ex-boyfriend, who still haunts her every thought, wants to join her. Before Britt can explore her feelings for Calvin, an unexpected blizzard forces her to seek shelter in a remote cabin, accepting the hospitality of its two very handsome occupants—but these men are fugitives, and they take her hostage.

In exchange for her life, Britt agrees to guide the men off the mountain. As they set off, Britt knows she must stay alive long enough for Calvin to find her. The task is made even more complicated when Britt finds chilling evidence of a series of murders that have taken place there... and in uncovering this, she may become the killer’s next target.

But nothing is as it seems in the mountains, and everyone is keeping secrets, including Mason, one of her kidnappers. His kindness is confusing Britt. Is he an enemy? Or an ally? 

Black Ice has been one of my most anticipated books of 2014, and it certainly did not disappoint.

Becca Fitzpatrick’s style of writing in Black Ice is very reminiscent of Hush, Hush. The words flow so well, the dialogue is effortless and every page leaves you wanting more, more page-turning and more diving into a magical world full of danger and ice. Not necessarily of the snowy kind either.

We are introduced to our main character, Britt. She has had a bit of a rough time and is wanting to spread her wings by going on a hiking escapade with her best friend; little did she realise that her ex, Calvin, would be their ‘chaperone’. Early on we see the tension between Calvin and Britt, at first I honestly thought that throughout the story he would come to her rescue and be her knight in shining... hiking gear. As this is a Spoiler Free review, I shall not digress, but we are shown a lot of Calvin’s history throughout Britt’s eyes and he has had to deal with a lot.

I love how Becca writes so seamlessly; every scene flows well into the other and it just paints a perfect picture. I could feel the cold gnaw into my bones, feel the tension raise and the suspense. Especially when Britt and Korbie are held as hostages; it read like a Thriller would be so seat-perching to watch. You just kept turning the pages, wanting more. 

The twists were amazingly put together; I did see them coming, but it was more of a ‘Is it him? No, it must be him? Oh wait, it must be him!’ But when things started to piece together I knew almost immediately; which isn't a bad thing, I do like being one step ahead of our protagonist. 

The Romance aspect was pretty realistic, which is something I have found very lacking lately; it is all girl meets guy, falls madly in love in a snap of a finger; you think this will be like it but it isn’t. Britt grows as a person throughout her hardships, dealing with trudging through terrible conditions with an absolute nutcase and a guy that you don’t know where you stand, she really did hold her own and was an awesome heroine. I liked the flashbacks between Britt and Calvin’s relationship, you saw the old and then the flashes of the present with Mason. I was not a hundred percent on Mason, as soon as we were introduced to him in the petrol station at the very beginning, I was unsure of where to put him. Again, as to not spoil the ending for you all, I did like how it played out and to me it worked out amazingly. 

The right guy got the girl and she got the right guy, the guy that deserved to go down, went down. 


I would say I was happy with how it ended, happy with how seamless it read and how Becca Fitzpatrick once again has written another great book to add to her repertoire; and if you haven’t read the Hush, Hush series, then I implore you, read them and then read Black Ice, and you will not be disappointed. You’d be glad you did, and become another Fitzpatrick Fan.

Comments