Lichgates [The Grimoire Saga] - S.M. Boyce - 3*
S.M Boyce
***
No Spoilers
I am giving this a 3 star, the story had so much promise, a real fantastical element, the characters were likable and pretty full of dimension. It would get a higher rating if the writing wasn't so rigid, so full of telling and not a great deal of description. It didn't flow at all, and at times it just went on and on with so many rigid sentences it lost the story. Overall it was an alright read. quite a high fantasy with dragons and other mythical creatures. If you want a book full of fantasy, an okay story but with not such an easy and flowing writing style, this is your book. but there are many books out there, with a better story and better writing you can find. quite a few errors in the typeset and punctuation, but no one is perfect.
I did like Braeden as a character though, he had so much potential, the right amount of angst and moodiness. Kara however was a little bit irritating to me; you fall into a new library and you automatically reach for the chained grimoire? I know curiosity is the bane of a human's existence but really, a chained book, you'd just try and open, without a second thought? I know this is a fantasy (I like fantasy, don't get me wrong!) but there could be a bit more realism in the characters, who were also as rigid and unmoving as the writing. The girl has lost a lot, understandably, but she just didn't seem to grieve realistically, she just didn't show a great deal of emotion.
Rant over. But it was a story with a lot of promise, I may try and read it again, as I did read it over the Christmas period and my mind was on other things. Three stars for now though.

Comments
Post a Comment