Touch The Dark - Karen Chance - 4*
Touch The DarkKaren Chance
****
No Spoilers
Cassandra Palmer can see the future and communicate with spirits—talents that make her attractive to the dead and the undead. The ghosts of the dead aren’t usually dangerous; they just like to talk…a lot.The undead are another matter.
Like any sensible girl, Cassie tries to avoid vampires. But when the bloodsucking mafioso she escaped three years ago finds Cassie again with vengeance on his mind, she’s forced to turn to the vampire Senate for protection.
The undead senators won’t help her for nothing, and Cassie finds herself working with one of their most powerful members, a dangerously seductive master vampire—and the price he demands may be more than Cassie is willing to pay....
An Urban Fantasy that has a little bit of everything thrown in; sort of like a good winter stew. A bit of this, a bit of that, a touch of spice, a nice bit of heat. It had Vampires, Faerie, Ghosts, Werewolves, Angels and a dash of Historic Big Guns, like Rasputin, Jack the Ripper and Cleopatra. I felt as though Karen Chance created a huge world and broadened it pretty well. I liked the originality of the mobsters, because let's face it, we all imagine vampires in cohorts with big ol' mafia big guns. Is that just me? Maybe. But I did like that. I liked that the story was spread over a few different places, not stuck in one little town. it made you think just where you were and threw you more into the story and it's broad spectrum.
I liked Cassie as a character, but perhaps she did go on a little too much. she was to me, a tad bit of a selfish drama queen, but did kick some ass throughout the story, so she did redeem herself. At first I was rather stunned with the whole Tomas, Cassie and Mircea. But this is a spoiler free review so I won't go into too much detail, but regarding those two, I did quite like Tomas...
Billy Joe was an amazing addition, he was funny, quirky and lowered and raised the bar as and when. Adding a ghost with the most is just a pleaser. I also thought Louis- Cesar was a great character, he was moulded well and really grew on you throughout the book, just like the world that Chance has created, a broad and colourful world that is really a cut above some of the urban fantasies out there.
Definitely a read if you are an Urban Fantasy aficionado. Find it, read it, love it.
Comments
Post a Comment