Lament - Maggie Stiefvater - 5*

Maggie Stiefvater

*****

No Spoilers

Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a painfully shy but prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand—one who can see faeries. Deirdre finds herself infatuated with a mysterious boy who enters her ordinary suburban life, seemingly out of thin air. Trouble is, the enigmatic and gorgeous Luke turns out to be a gallowglass—a soulless faerie assassin. An equally hunky—and equally dangerous—dark faerie soldier named Aodhan is also stalking Deirdre. Sworn enemies, Luke and Aodhan each have a deadly assignment from the Faerie Queen. Namely, kill Deirdre before her music captures the attention of the Fae and threatens the Queen's sovereignty. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend. Deirdre had been wishing her life weren't so dull, but getting trapped in the middle of a centuries-old faerie war isn't exactly what she had in mind... 

You will never be disappointed with anything that Maggie Stiefvater writes; she has a beautiful way of telling stories and an enthralling writing style that just enraptures you with every page. And Lament is no exception.

We are thrown into the story right when Dee is about to play in her recital; her partner the very mysterious and very handsome boy, Luke, appears and disappears at a flick of a finger. He is the epitome of mystery, one that every appearance, leaves you wanting to know more. Who is he, What is he? We are also introduced to Dee’s best friend, James; James is a brilliant character, he is full of wit, full of quick quips and amazing dialogue and you just want to know every inch of him. You can tell through the book that he cares a great deal for Dee, the way he talk of her, the way he acts. He is in love with his best friend -- which leads us to the dreaded Love Triangle.

Now Maggie can write, she could quite possibly write about a circle and a square, meeting up in the forest and dancing under the moonlight and it would be amazing. And she can definitely write a triangle. I loved both James and Luke, they each were each other’s opposites but in the same breath cared for Dee just as much. I was torn, I felt my heart reach out to both but in the end I’m afraid the Faeries won with me. (I’m a Paranormal Lover, remember?)

I found Lament a very, very quick read. It isn’t a long book, but it is very quick to get through as you are suckered in right from the start and don’t want anything to distract you from the story. I found that there are no points in this book that let you put it down. I’m afraid that it is a beginning until end sort of read. Both enthralling and magical, Maggie has created a world full of mystery, music, magic and mayhem. Beautiful to the very end.

If you have never read any of Maggie Stiefvater’s books, then I implore you to go, grab one from the library, borrow one from a friend, buy one from the internet or the bookstores, as long as you grab any of her works. You will not be disappointed and we be enthralled equally by the way she can spin a tale. A writer’s envy, always. To create books, regardless of genre, that draw you in and capture you with claws that you don’t want letting go of you. 


Amazing.

Comments