Unrest - Michelle Harrison - 5*

Michelle Harrison

*****

No Spoilers.

Seventeen-year-old Elliott hasn't slept properly for months. Not since the accident that nearly killed him. Sometimes he half-wakes, paralysed, while shadowy figures move around him. Other times he is the one moving around, while his body lies asleep on the bed. His doctors say sleep paralysis and out of body experiences are harmless - but to Elliott they're terrifying.

Convinced that his brush with death has attracted the spirit world, Elliott secures a job at a reputedly haunted museum, determined to discover the truth. There, he meets the enigmatic Ophelia. But, as she and Elliott grow closer, Elliott draws new attention from the dead. One night, during an out of body experience, Elliott returns to bed to find his body gone. Something is occupying it, something dead that wants to live again... and it wants Ophelia, too...

I picked this up at the Library; I’ve seen it floating around and always pick it up, mull over it and then place it back on the shelf. Well, this time I didn’t. I bundled ‘Unrest’ into my arms and headed for the checkout. I am happy I did.

From the word go, this book has a creepy, eerie aura about it. Michelle has done an amazing job of creating a brilliantly creepy atmosphere, making your eyes twitch to all corners of the room you’re reading in. Michelle has created a protagonist in Elliott, that you follow with curiosity; he is flawed, emotionally drained and has a sleeping problem. You sympathise with him throughout and see him grow stronger and more as a person. Ophelia is a great love-interest and heroine. She has a lot of spirit and is very three-dimensional. 

If you want a suspenseful, eerie, creepy, night-time read, then this is for you. As well as being atmospheric, dark and with a killer twist at the end that leaves you amazed, this warrants it’s five out of five.


‘Unrest’ hooked me from the very first page and left me turning till the very last. Michelle’s writing style is descriptive in a beautiful way. Her descriptions made the creepiness jump out, her writing style I really enjoyed, it flowed so well and did the story justice. Citing a paranormal and scientific outlet, this book leaves you wanting to learn more about Elliott’s condition. REM. You can tell that Michelle has put a lot of work into finding out the things that have been so expertly weaved into the story; the knowledge that once you sleep you can never truly know what goes on. The ending makes you double-take and really think about what happened. Truly an amazing book that should have more attention.

Comments