Fool Moon [The Dresden Files #2] - Jim Butcher - 5*
Jim Butcher
*****
No Spoilers
I finished this the tail-end of last year (it feels strange saying that, considering we are only three days into 2015) and as my hectic schedule has not relented until now, I haven’t had the time to review it properly. Or even just sit and read and enjoy. This book took me so long to read, but not because it was bad, no, far from, but because I had hardly any time. I snatched little moments I could reading this but often felt torn when I had to close the book, but each time I jumped right back into it where I left off.
Lost Items Found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.
Business has been slow. Okay, business has been dead. And not even of the undead variety. You would think Chicago would have a little more action for the only professional wizard in the phone book. But lately, Harry Dresden hasn't been able to dredge up any kind of work--magical ormundane.
But just when it looks like he can't afford his next meal, a murder comes along that requires his particular brand of supernatural expertise.
A brutally mutilated corpse. Strange-looking paw prints. A full moon. Take three guesses--and the first two don't count...
The second instalment of the Dresden Files, takes us along a very interesting ride with our wizarding friend, Harry Dresden. As per the norm, we are gathering, he is not one for much luck. And just when we left him in Storm Front, thinking maybe he had a chance at gaining a bit ahead of everything, he’s suckered right back into the world of corrupt supernatural offerings. This time a gang, errant FBI officers and some very strange, wolf-like murders.
I could have sat and read this in one sitting, if I had the time, it just sucked you in like super-strength glue. Refusing to let you go. The characters are on point, the dialogue one again, Jim Butcher excels at. Constructing well-written wit, with a dash of dark humour, Harry is a character that I could continue to read until his fateful end. (There are many books in this series, so I’m pleased to have many reads out of him before then...)
Once more we are thrown into a very interesting, original plotline, in a world that boasts some amazing structure and themes. I really, really want to head to Chicago, just to mooch the streets in a long dustjacket. This book just makes you want to recreate some epic moments. and believe me, there are some pretty epic moments in this book. A dash of romance, jealousy, revenge. All worked into a very potent cocktail that leaves you wanting more.
I saw a lot more of a different side of Karin Murphy, which I was quite pleased about. She is a pretty kick-ass character. And I’m really jumping on the Murphy and Dresden train. Not sure if it is in the future or not, but I live in hope.
I’m pleased I have the third book ready and waiting.

Comments
Post a Comment