Storm Front [The Dresden Files #1] - Jim Butcher - 5*
Jim Butcher
*****
No Spoilers
Harry Dresden -- Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or
Other Entertainment.
Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he’s the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the “everyday” world is actually full of strange and magical things — and most of them don’t play well with humans. That’s where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a — well, whatever.
There’s just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry’s seeing dollar signs. But where there’s black magic, there’s a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry’s name. And that’s when things start to get… interesting.
Magic. It can get a guy killed.
I’ve been recommended this series a dozen times; as an aficionado of Urban Fantasies [Especially good ones] The Dresden Files keeps popping up, citing a mixture of CSI, PD and a healthy dose of fantasy and the paranormal, this book was amazing. It has taken me a lot longer to finish it, having not a great deal of time meant that I was stealing moments to read it, constantly carrying the tome around wherever I went. It was torture to keep putting it down, but regardless where I did, the story took no time to get back into.
Harry Dresden is an amazing protanogist. He has flaws, he is real and he is one awesome wizard, with a heck of a lot of problems. He has a fat cat named Mister and a talking skull named Bob, and also the P.D on tenterhooks. Written from his POV, the first of the series was a great kickstarter; drawing you into the underside of the underside of Chicago. Pixies, Wizards, Black Magic, a cool looking Bar with an owner of very little words. It was amazing, the world was surreal yet kept that realism that booted you into the world so easily. It was like you were alongside Harry for the ride, and believe me, it was one heck of a ride.
I really enjoyed Harry and Murphy’s friendship; I can see a great deal of development in the future [I hope!] I can also see a great deal of problems occurring if this is the case.
I’ve never read any of Jim Butcher’s works, but am inclined now to not only hunt down the rest of The Dresden Files, but also peruse his other works. He has a flawless writing style that reads so effortlessly, citing polished descriptions, witty banter and a killer humour, Storm Front was an amazing read, the characters were full on and the twists were perfect.
I look forward to reading the second of the series, Fool Moon. I’m 45 pages in already!
Also apologies for my lack of updates, as I said, I have been very busy and have not been having a great deal of time to read, or write or just sit down and ponder life. I hope over the Christmas Holidays that will change, but I highly doubt that. Until next time.

Comments
Post a Comment