Three Days To Dead - Kelly Meding - 4*

Kelly Meding

****

No Spoilers.

They’ll never see her coming...

When Evangeline Stone wakes up naked and bruised on a cold slab at the morgue—in a stranger’s body, with no memory of who she is and how she got there—her troubles are only just beginning. Before that night she and the two other members of her Triad were the city’s star bounty hunters, mercilessly cleansing the city of the murderous creatures living in the shadows, from vampires to shape-shifters to trolls. Then something terrible happened that not only cost all three of them their lives but also convinced the city’s other Hunters that Evy was a traitor—and she can’t even remember what it was.

Now she’s a fugitive, piecing together her memory, trying to deal some serious justice—and discovering that she has only three days to solve her own murder before the reincarnation spell wears off. Because in three days Evy will die again—but this time there’s no second chance.

I have a soft spot for Urban Fantasies. I don’t know whether or not it is the tacky covers, the same-y -same-y story lines or the fact that there is always one obscenely hot and destructive paranormal character that you are able to swoon over, but I love Urban Fantasies and I picked this up in my local Cat’s Protection Charity Shop and started reading it the very next day, as the opening paragraph really gripped me and drew me in.

I have never read any of Meding’s works before, but this book really swayed me to try and find the rest of the saga and also try her other works. From the moment you open the book you are swept into a world built to the very aspect of urban fantasy fiction. Every little thing you note, from the descriptions and reasons why certain things are like they are, it is brilliant world-building. I am quite envious of Meding’s ability to create a world so vivid, so real. Alongside a broad spectrum of characters, that are both likeable and loveable rogues, Three Days to Dead was really a well-constructed book. There were twists, not grand, labyrinthine twists, but subtle ones that kept you guessing. A descriptive nature described things to the T, brilliantly. A very broad world of Weres, Vampires, Goblins, Gargoyles and more, this is a mut for Urban Fantasy Lovers of all kind. There are no smutty scenes, what love scenes that were written were perfectly done. Written so that the reader knows, without gory and graphic details.


I loved Evangeline’s character. She was a kick-ass heroine who you could see throughout the book was  not as hard as nails as she led to think. From the moment she wakes up on the cold slab in the morgue to the very end, you are on her ride and it is one heck of a ride indeed. I implore Kelly Meding’s writing style, her story and imagination. 

Comments